Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Where Did The Time Go?!

As you can see, my last post was in 2013. Almost exactly 2 years ago. So much has happened in that short amount of time. I would like to say there's good reason that I haven't written, but really, there isn't. Lack of motivation? Certainly not because life was boring. It's just been busy and exciting! That's for sure. 

In the past two years my family and I have been pretty busy, so I will give you a recap of our last several years haur to catch up.

2011-2012: The Year of Doom (or so it felt)...


The year felt like it was devoted to trying to get pregnant. Three failed attempts at IVF/FET left us devastated. That's all she wrote.

2013: There's Hope!


We had some big choices to make. After researching a gestational surrogate (and a generous offer from a friend to help us) on my birthday, we decided to pursue adoption. We signed up with an adoption agency in Michigan. Morning Star Adoption Agency was awesome and left us with a fuzzy feeling and full of hope. A week into being signed up with them I got a phone call from the director.
They had a young woman who had placed her child for adoption just several months ago. She was pregnant again. We had to make a quick decision, which also meant spending about $5,000 and the risk of losing it if the process didn't pan out. After sleeping on it, the situation just didn't feel right. In the end I'm so glad we shied away from it. Turned out the gal wasn't even pregnant. Unfortunately this can be all too common in the adoption world.

Fast forward to August. My gym friend, Tara, a foster care worker, told me about fostering to adopt. It took us no time to agree that this was a viable option and may get us our child even that much faster. Shortly after our decision we were put in touch with our amazing licensing worked. She came out to the house, we took some classes, got finger printed, and within a week she informed us of an adorable little boy named Tyler.

I couldn't wait for Brad to wake up (he works nights) that day. The conversation went something like this "BRAD BRAD KATHY CALLED ME AND SHE KNOWS OF A LITTLE BOY WHO'S  A YEAR OLD AND PROBABLY NEEDS TO BE ADOPTED SOMETIME IN THE FUTURE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!". Anyone who knows my also knows how enthusiastic I am anyhow. I am sure Brad thought I was going to jump through the phone at any moment.

As the weeks went on and we hadn't heard anything about Tyler, we both grew anxious. We fought a lot and couldn't enjoy our spare time together because we were always wondering if we'd ever get to meet Tyler, let alone take any baby home. The tension in our household could be cut with a knife.

Fast forward to November. Our licensing worker put us in touch with Tyler's case worker. She tells us that Tyler is living with foster parents who like to be considered Tyler's grandparents. They had no relation to him, but we're older and wanted to always be a part of his life. They treated him like a little prince, which is also the name CPS had coined for Tyler. It was time to move Tyler to "permanent placement" aka OUR home.

The transition to bring Tyler to our home took over a month of daily visits, that turned into overnight visits, that led to weekend visits, ultimately making our "gotcha" date December 13, 2013. The week leading up to bringing Tyler home "for good" was hard. My Dad's only brother passed away and I spent the week with my family in St. Louis. This also meant that I didn't' get to see Tyler. A week of bonding missed, but it was important to be there for my family. Thank goodness for FaceTime.

2014: It all becomes real

Almost one year later, on December 9th, 2014, Tyler's birth mother's rights were terminated. A feeling of relief, sadness, happiness, and a realization that we could move on with our lives. December 9th was also the one year anniversary if my Uncle Rob's passing. I like to think that he played a part in things... call it silly, call it meant to be, God's plan (if you're a believer) whatever it was, it made me smile to know we have a true angel looking out for us.

2014 was pretty amazing. Not only did our family expand with Tyler, but my brother married the love of his life. In August Sara, Mark's gorgeous (inside and out) wife joined the Harris family! Tyler was lucky to be a part of the wedding by being the ring bearer!! 

Tyler with my dad, also known as Papa.


2015: Now the news that everyone has been waiting for... 

NO, Tyler has not been adopted. YET. However, we have big news!! We just got word that we're being moved to an adoption case worker this week!!! This, my friends, is AWESOME news! In a mere 3-6 months Tyler should officially become ours! It's a little bitter sweet too. We LOVE his caseworker. We click with her, she clicks with us. She adores Tyler and has always looked out for his best interest. I think it's safe to say we shall remain friends with her. Thank goodness!

Tyler has not only been a blessing for us, but my parents, Brad's parents, my step-children, and our entire family! People tell us that Tyler is incredibly lucky to have us, but we feel even luckier to have him!!!


xo   Rachel                                                        
 Top: Rachel. Skylar, & Dylan
                                                                                Bottom: Tyler, Brad, Jacob & Austin
                                                                       Christmas Day, 2014















No comments:

Post a Comment